Rule vs. Cost

From: jawa <Jim.Wadas_at_motorola.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:35:38 -0700

Rule-based optimization runs more efficiently than cost on our application. The supplier told us that the version 7 optimizer has problems. Is this true, or is it that their application was not written by folks knowledgeable of the hints and tricks designed to take full advantage of cost-based optimization? For instance, I ran a small benchmark report on the schema and found: (1) >40 tables with no index on them at all (even small tables without an index become the driving table), and (2) >100 foreign keys missing child index references (all having the potential to put locks on the parent table). Could these contribute to a cost-based scenario that would perform poorly, or is it true that version 7's optimizer has problems like the supplier alleges? Has anyone else experienced a similar case study?

--
Jim Wadas
Information Technology Solutions and Services (ITSS) Motorola Systems Solutions Group (SSG)