Re: Keyword search

From: Brian W. Chester <bwchester_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 16:29:29 GMT

Tom,

Investigate the Oracle Context option. It is probably your best bet. I tried to implement a similar project about 4 years ago, and while the application worked, the performance was very poor. If the text is one large field, the system must parse the entire text looking for your criteria using a LIKE function with %text%. Other techniques are available via PLSQL, but did not perform any better. The client eventually did switch to context and are not producing search results in a very small fraction of the time.

One of the other methods we did try, was creating a table which contained the primary key of the main table and a field which contain the keyword and building an index. This was moderately better than the LIKE function but the changing nature of the tables eventually ruled out this technique.

Good luck on the project

Brian