Re: How to obtain data from another server

From: Stephan Born <stephan.born_at_beusen.de>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 09:56:06 +0100

> Hi,
>
> I'm a MS-SQL Server user moving to Oracle. I didn't find out yet how
> to transfer data between two server. In SQL Server, I can write:
>
> INSERT INTO TABLE ( a, b, c)
> SELECT * FROM server.database.owner.table
>
> Could I write something similar in Oracle? I need to point out that
> the select will push data from another server than where I am.
>
> Thanks in advance

I guess what you need is a database-link in Oracle like

create [public] database link <dblink>
connect to <user> identified by <password> using <'connect_string'>

dblink: global-name of the remote Oracle-database user: username on remote-db to whom you want a connection password: its pasword
'connect_string': alias which is given in tnsnames.ora to remote-db. It has to be in the tnsnames.ora of the db-server

                         from which you want to create a db-link to the
remote-db

if you create the db-link public every user can use this db-link

Hope this is what you need, let me know.

Regards, Stephan
--

Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Stephan Born   | beusen Consulting GmbH
fon: +49 30 549932-0           | Landsberger Allee 392