Re: Missing Piece?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 07:55:51 GMT

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:21:17 -0700, "Glenn Nyhan" <gnyhan1_at_ricochet.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have just installed Oracle8i Personal Edition - Named User on my NT 4.0
>workstation and am now looking for an answer I can't seemed to find in any
>book. The installation process completed without problems and then I
>followed that by installing Oracle Enterprise Manager 2.0.4. I followed the
>pre-install instructions and the install process went along fine. After the
>installation of OEM was complete I opened OEM and found that the database I
>created during the Personal Oracle install was not visible in the Navigator
>portion of the OEM Console. Does anyone know why this is? Do I need to
>create another V2 Repository using Configuration Assistant? When I try the
>Discover Nodes item there is an attempt to log me to my modem. Oracle
>Management Server I know is running and if I log individually to Security
>Manager, Schema Manager and other resources I find the database I created
>listed. How can I get Manager Console to "discover" and see the node and
>place the dB on the tree.
>
>By the way SQL*Plus is also working (I can build and access tables in it)
>along with SQL Worksheet, so now I am quite confused and as I said I can't
>seem to find any books to solve my problems. I noticed though in the Oracle
>Press book - Oracle8i A Beginner's Guide the install process includes the
>installation for Oracle8i Client (of which I have a copy), do I need to add
>this to my installation to get OEM to see the database. Thanks much to
>anyone who can help me through this very frustrating problem!
>
>Glenn

I don't know whether you resolved it, or put it aside. The problem you are having is the Oracle Intelligent Agent is not running. This piece of software however is completely relying on TCP/IP, and I don't know whether you configured the NET8 software to use TCP/IP. The Intelligent Agent is started and can be managed by the listener control utility (lsnrctl80), subcommand dbsnmp_start|stop|status.
The OEM console is the only option in OEM that needs the Oracle Intelligent Agent. Hence the other parts DO work.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sat Nov 06 1999 - 01:55:51 CST