sqlload problem: mistakenly reports limit exess

From: David Zlotchenko 1 <zlotchen_at_voyager.rtd.utk.edu>
Date: 4 Nov 1999 23:27:32 GMT

Hi,

I am loading up data with a pretty long fiel that I specified as VARCHAR2(1000). My data for this field does not exseed 650 chars, however, sql load keeps reporting an error "Field in data file exceeds maximum length" for most of r entries where actual data seems to to exceed perhaps 300 chars.

I can do insert of this data via sqlplus successfully.

Here is my contol file definition:

load data
infile b.tab
into table webman_tssms_tmp
replace
-- X'09' is a tab char

The "DATA" field is the one that gives me trouble.

There is the table definition:
SQL> describe webman_tssms_tmp;

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ID                              NOT NULL CHAR(8)
 CATEGORY                        NOT NULL VARCHAR2(300)
 DATA                                     VARCHAR2(2000)

I am using Oracle 8.0.4.3 on Digital Unix.

Thanks. David.

David Zlotchenko
E-mail: zlotchen_at_cs.utk.edu
WWW: http://www.oars.utk.edu/~zlotchen Received on Thu Nov 04 1999 - 17:27:32 CST