Re: OS Password authentication

From: Ruben Safir <ruben_at_llinderman.dental.nyu.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 21:08:51 GMT

[Posted and mailed]
Thanks for the Reply.

Because of how the documentation is layed out in the online manuals, I was under the assumption that all user authentication could be on the OS Level. The more I investigate this, it seems the less likely this is to be true. It seems only dba group users can be password authenticated through the OS.

I need to understand some of the detail in this for my own peace of mind.

<< As you probably know, the object of a password file is to give selected users
the privilege of connecting as "internal". >>

When we are refering to A password file, are we talking about THE /etc/passwd file in Unix or something created by Oracle? I see in init.ora a variable for naming a file.

http://intranet.dental.nyu.edu/oracle/doc/server.805/a58397/ch1.htm#1078 This URL which has the Oracle Docs on line seems to say that all user authorization can be done through the OS. So this is my reason for confussion i if this is not the case.

<< 1) The internal password holder should have granted you the SYSOPER
and/or SYSDBA privileges.>>

OK. This is done through the /etc/groups permisions I assume as described in  the intallation documents?
What exactly is the would a password holder look like :)

<< 2) The init.ora file needs to have the parameter
REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORD = EXCLUSIVE.>> OK - This is very confussing to me because it seems to be a contradiction to what it says in the documentation. WHat you describe is the setup of my initorcl.ora BUT - This is a quote from the documentation:

If you choose, you can have your operating system authenticate users performing database administration operations.

    1.Set up the user to be authenticated by the operating system.     2.Make sure that the initialization parameter, REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORD, is set to NONE, which is the default value for this       parameter.
    3.Authenticated users should now be able to connect to a local database, or to connect to a remote database over a secure connection, by       typing one of the following commands:

Is this an error in the Docs?!?

I'm also still confused about why we want to use a prefix. I'm not understanding exactly the advantage it creates for me and the reason it gives me this advantage.

ruben_at_wynn.noSppam.com

http://www.brooklynonline.com
Manager of Intranet Development NYU College of Dentisty Resume: http://www.wynn.com/jewish/resume.html

Perl Notes: