Re: Need Help with WebDB Install

From: QuestionExchange <USENET_at_questionexchange.com>
Date: 4 Nov 1999 15:49:59 GMT

> Can someone help me this problem?
>
> I was trying to install the WebDB software on my NT 4.0
Workstation and when
> I reach the part that asks for Password and TNS Names Alias I
get stuck. I
> input MANAGER as password and SYSTEM as TNS Names Alias.

Hence your problem!
Oracle normally expects to see a username, password, and a "connect string", aka
an alias for a "database installed on a server". The form normally is"
username/password_at_TNSname
The typical Oracle installation sets the sysadmin account with a username of SYSTEM
and a password of MANAGER.
Moreover, if you are connecting locally, you really don't *need* a TNSnames connect
string. Omitting one assumes the local machine's database. Although, might have to
specifically specify the ORACLE_SID (the Oracle database instance name) if you want
to use the local manchine's database.
In short, specify MANAGER for the account password, but *do not* specify SYSTEM as the TNS Names Alias. There *is* no such alias!
Some of the fields in the Oracle App Server (and presumably WebDB product) database connect
setup screens are vague about what fields should be entered and which can be left blank. THe general rule is this: - If the database the web server is to connect to is local,   fill in USERNAME, PASSWORD, and ORACLE_SID - If the database the web server is to connect to is remote,   fill in USERNAME, PASSWORD, and TNS Names Alias; AND also   ensure that the TNS Names Alias is a valid entry in your   machine's TNSNAMES.ORA file (The Net8 assistant helps you here!)
Hope this helps!

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com   http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=7166&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=6911 Received on Thu Nov 04 1999 - 09:49:59 CST