Re: A good challenge for gurus

From: QuestionExchange <USENET_at_questionexchange.com>
Date: 4 Nov 1999 15:43:33 GMT

> Hi
> I am trying replace (CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE BODY ...) in
7.3.4.0
> The package is big ( maybe 5000 lines). SQL*plus says
"PACKAGE CREATED
> SUCCESSFULLY" and obviously no errors. The time stamp (Last
modified) on the
> package shows that it has just been modified BUT the code
changes is not
> there (looking into the source code of the package in the
server.
> Please don't tell me that I'm compiling an old code,I have
done it three
> times.
> I think it is a problem with memory allocation in SGA (shared
pool) to
> compile the package, but why it does not signal ora- 4031 ??
> I am compiling the package when the system is open and busy
and lot of users
> on the system and the package might be used but why no errors
> Please shed some light
> Thanks in advance
> regards
> REZA

Two possibilities:
1. At one time, the limit on the size of compiled code (functions, packages, procedures) was pretty low. This *might* be your problem, but, I think the following might be a better explanation.
2. Packages contain the Package Spec and the Package Body. It is possible to compile the package spec, get the "PACKAGE CREATED SUCCESSFULLY"
message, then realize that your forgot to actually execute the package BODY create code.
You are led to believe that the package was successfully CREATED, but only the HEADER (SPEC) changed, not the ACTUAL CODE. This bites most people when they're in SQL*Plus, since it requires you to
run code blocks with the "/" run command. Check if you have the "/" run commands after BOTH the package SPEC
as well as the package BODY definition. You should look for messages:
"PACKAGE CREATED"
"PACKAGE BODY CREATED"
among the return messages. Without the latter, you would experience the trouble you have described. Hope this helps!

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com   http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=7169&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=6282 Received on Thu Nov 04 1999 - 09:43:33 CST