Re: When does ROWID change ?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:46:42 GMT

> A table which does not have a key is not in 3rd Normal form and therefore
> is not truely relational. That indicates poor design. I'd even doubt that

While it is true that a table that does not have a key is not 3NF, a table does not have to be in 3NF to be relational. In order to be truly relational, one must have defined primary keys and foreign key relationships. Tables that are 1NF or 2NF can be relational. And while tables not in 3NF are of poor design, it may be desirable to de-normalize into 2NF (or 1NF) for performance reasons.

Just trying to clear up any misconceptions, Brian Received on Thu Nov 04 1999 - 07:46:42 CST