XML Related Questions

From: gremlin <gremlin_NO_SPAM__at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 08:24:10 -0500

Hello:

I have some XML/Oracle 8i related questions, for anyone who has used this capability.

  1. Other than whatever the default Oracle 8i Enterprise (Say, for NT), what MUST I have to be able to take an XML document, store it in a database, query on that data, and later retrieve that document or pieces of it from the query as a (another?) XML document?
  2. Is InterMedia a REQUIRED product for the above, and if not, what does it give me capability wise should I get it?
  3. What exactly is iFS? I gather it is an included product in 8i Enterprise? Is it always used when storing/retrieving XML docs or is that just an option or what? From the online docs, it appears to me that given a DTD, iFS is able to "automagically" handle the parsing/assembly of XML documents to the table(s) for the XML doc type, is this correct?
  4. How does Oracle store a valid XML document? I figure every element gets its own column, but what about attributes? Does each attribute get a column as well, or are they all stored in a clob that must be searched, etc.?
  5. I think I have read that 8i understands (needs?) a DTD for parsing documents and storing them in the tables. What about "Schemas"? (Not DB Schemas, but XML Schemas. Can it use them as well?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

--

To reply to me via email, remove the "__NO_SPAM__" in the header email address.