Re: Salaries

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: 1999/11/03

With 15 years, if you turn consultant in a major metropolitan area you should make $80/hour or more depending on whether you go through a greedy headhunter or one that charges a reasonable rate. Or, best of all, if you find your own work you keep the whole eighty. (It might be worthwhile having your wife or a friend do the headhunting for you) If you work 40-45 hour weeks and stay employed that'll come to $160,000 or so per year. You don't have corporate perks or benefits but you'll get some from your own personal corporation. You don't have job security but in many companies you don't have a great deal of that anyway. You will most likely have a choice of jobs to choose from so you can select an area which will add to your Oracle and peripheral skills.

Van

Geoffrey Bray <gbray1_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:7vnhq4$g10$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In discussing salary you really need to include a few more items. Where
> you work in the U.S. makes a pretty big difference. i.e. I work in Fort
> Worth as an Oracle DBA (plus a lot more) on a PeopleSoft implementation.
> I could probably make about $10K more if I was willing to work in
> Dallas. I could also make a lot more if I went the consulting route.
> You also have to consider other things such as benefits (insurance,
> 401K, stock plans, etc.) and don't forget the soft benefits either (flex
> hours, flex days, vacation, etc.)
>
> I could switch job descriptions or make a few other adjustments ... but
> what would I give up? I work 9 hour days and take every other Friday
> off. I have flex hours so I vary when I come in and take 1 1/2 hours
> off for lunch to work-out. I've got 4 weeks of vacation, never have to
> travel, stock matching, 401K, a great boss, etc. Those are pretty
> important things to both me and my family.
>
> All this to say that I'd consider a lot more than just $$$ in
> considering a career move.
>
> Geoffrey
>
> In article <7vn53i$bch$1_at_xs4.xs4all.nl>,
> plast_at_xs4all.nl wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > I have a question about salaries for Oracle DBA's, Unix Adminis,
> > and Network Engineers.
> >
> > Currently, I am an Oracle DBA with a strong Unix backgroud who is
> > making the high 70's in the U.S.
> >
> > Recently someone tried to sell me on the idea of getting my Cisco
> > certification and making a job change to tcp networking engineering.
> > They claimed that it would pay far better then eith Unix admin or
> > Oracle DBA.
> >
> > I've been doing Unix and Oracle for close to 10 to 15 years now; if
> > I do as this guy suggested, I would be almost throwing that away.
 Further,