Re: Salaries

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: 1999/11/03

On 2 Nov 1999 17:56:18 +0100, plast_at_xs4all.nl wrote:

>Recently someone tried to sell me on the idea of getting my Cisco
>certification and making a job change to tcp networking engineering.
>They claimed that it would pay far better then eith Unix admin or
>Oracle DBA.

 <snip>
>I have a strong feeling that this would be a foolish move. Do you
>agree?

This is a decision that you should make from the heart. Worry less about the money, and more about whether network engineering is something that interests you. If you're a bit tired of what you've been doing for the last 10-15 years, then consider making the change. If you do it because it's something that you _want_ to do, then you remain in control of whether or not it is foolish.

FWIW, my impression is that Cisco skills are very valuable. I know that KPMG, the company I work for, is doing a lot to ramp up in that area. My guess is that you could make comparable money.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Wed Nov 03 1999 - 00:00:00 CST