Re: Any issues with large database views?

From: Steve McDaniels <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:49:04 -0800

sounds like you should be using a table like this:

create table cdr
(
mfg_code varchar(...),
field_type varchar(...),
field_value varchar(...)
)

In our organization, we refer to this as name/value pairs; our customers, when installing our software,
run a setup routine which encourages them to "register" with us. Since we need to be able to handle
cd's burned, oh, say, a year ago, even though we've changed the "content" of the registration, we can
still handle these "old" formats (based on mfg_code, or in our instance, version_code)

A simple procedure with cursor can denormalize this at some later point in time
(i.e.,
select mfg_code,

decode(field_type,1,field_value) F1,
decode(field_type,2,field_value) F2,
decode(field_type,3,field_value) F3, etc.