Re: NLS PARAMETERS

From: Riad <rsouissi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 13:39:50 GMT

You can modify it later with SVRMGR (ask you DBA to do that):

SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
SQL> STARTUP MOUNT;
SQL> ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE RESTRICED SESSION;
SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=0;
SQL> ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
SQL> ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1;
SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
SQL> STARTUP;

But you have to watch out the data already stored in the database (like accentuated data)

A+
Riad

In article <380B3558.C00A3635_at_egarden.com>,   moderator <moderator**nospam**@egarden.com> wrote:
> RMM wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a problem with french accent that are displayed wrong. I have
> > check in the table V$NLS_PARAMETERS here is what I've got :
> >
> > PARAMETER

VALUE

> > ---------------------------------------------------------------- ---

> > NLS_LANGUAGE

FRENCH

> > NLS_TERRITORY

FRANCE

> > NLS_CURRENCY F
> >
> > NLS_ISO_CURRENCY

FRANCE

> > NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS ,.
> >
> > NLS_CALENDAR
> > GREGORIAN
> > NLS_DATE_FORMAT

DD/MM/YY

> > NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE

FRENCH

> > NLS_CHARACTERSET

US7ASCII

> > NLS_SORT

FRENCH

> > NLS_TIME_FORMAT
> > HH24:MI:SSXFF
> > NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT

DD/MM/YY
> > HH24:MI:SSXFF
> > NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT
> > HH24:MI:SSXFF TZH:TZM
> > NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT

DD/MM/YY
> > HH24:MI:SSXFF TZH:TZM
> > NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY ?
> >
> > NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET

US7ASCII

> > NLS_COMP
> >
> > It seems that the NLS_CHARACTERSET and NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET is
wrong
> > for french. How can I change that ? I've read on the Oracle website
that
> > is kind of risky for changing that...
> >
> > Thanks for the help
> >
> > Olivier
>
> What I remember is that the character sets are specified as a clause
of
> the CREATE DATABASE statement. The character set for a database can
not
> be changed after you issue the CREATE DATABASE statement, because
> everything is stored in the characterset specified there. The default
is
> typically US7ASCII which is what your NLS_CHARACTERSET and
> NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET are set to.
>
> --
> Hogarth
>
> Please remove **nospam** from email address to reply

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 03 1999 - 07:39:50 CST