Re: Any issues with large database views?

From: <clapoint149_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 15:34:46 GMT

Hi, Randy,

     The data we are dealing with are telephone call detail records (CDR's), which contain between 30 and 100 fields. To complicate matters, we have to store records produced by telephone switches from several different manufacturers and be able to access these CDR's as a single entity (for application purposes). While there is some overlap among the various CDR formats, there are also many fields unique to all of a given manufacturer's CDR formats or even to a given manufacturer's individual CDR formats. For this reason, the number of fields will be fairly large. Since we are developing our storage design from scratch, we want to take the time to do it properly and avoid any problems associated with expanding our storage structure as we support/integrate new CDR formats (which will certainly happen).

In article <381E0B59.3FCCD596_at_cais.com>,   randy_at_euclidsys.com wrote:
> I am very curious.
>
> What kind of data needs this many fields?
>
> randy
>
> clapoint149_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have the need to store records which will consist of several
> > hundred but < 1000 fields. My current understanding is that for
Oracle
> > 8 and above the table column limit is 1000 and for previous
versions of
> > Oracle's database server the table column limit is 254. However, I
> > have heard that even with the newer versions of the database server
> > there are still issues with creating/using tables with more than 254
> > columns. I personally do not know what these issues might be, nor
do I
> > know if they actually translate as problems per se. What I am
> > wondering, though, is if these issues (whatever they are) also
apply to
> > large views (with several hundred columns) that join medium-sized
> > tables (each with at most about 100 columns), which is how I prefer
> > store/access my large records. My guess is that large views are
immune
> > since any table problems most likely stem from physical storage
design,
> > but I do not know for sure. Could someone shed some light on any
> > issues related to large database tables and views? Thanks.
> >
> > Cary
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 02 1999 - 09:34:46 CST