Re: What Backup strategy would be the best ?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 19:40:28 +0200

Some general remarks:
It all comes down on two questions:
- how much dataloss can you afford
- how much downtime can you afford
Then we have two different types of errors - physical errors (power outage, disk crash) - logical errors (someone accidentally delete 32 rows from a 3 million row table)
Backup and export are two completely different things.

In theory export protects against logical error only. However, the database can be so small and with minimal activity, that it is suited to survive a head crash. Generally speaking, if you have a head crash and you only have an export, you will have to rebuild the complete database and you will loose data.

Backup is completely unsuited to protect against logical errors. The example above is a real world case (I admit, I did it myself!), there was no export, we were forced to do this by means of recovery and that took us 8 hours. So, IMO you need to both.
Answering the question on downtime, you will also know whether you need to use cold backup (with archivelog please) or hot backup (7x24 operation, archivelog mandatory)

RMAN probably should do the job, but Oracle has replaced backup products quite a few times.
Personally I like Arcserve in combination with a special Oracle agent from the same firm. This product can handle both hot and cold backup automatically, you don't need to write any script.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA