Oracle Jdbc Exception?

From: Jeffery Cann <Jeffery_Cann_at_mcgraw-hill.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:32:49 -0600

Hello.

I am using the Oracle Jdbc drivers (classes111.zip) and an Oracle 7.3.x database. In the database, I am storing serialized Java objects as byte streams into LONG RAW (binary) columns.

Occasionally, I have observed the following exception:

    java.sql.SQLException: Bigger type length than Maximum

It would appear that a particular serialized object is too big for the LONG RAW column. However, the size of the serialized objects in question is no where near the 2 GB maxmimum size.

Based on the stack trace (below) I suspect that Oracle's Jdbc driver has a maxmimum buffer size for the PreparedStatment.setBytes( ) method.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, is there a workaround for Oracle 7.3.x running the JDBC 1.0 drivers (classes111.zip)?

Thanks.
Jeffery Cann