Re: Linux: 8.0.5 to 8i

From: Uwe Schneider <uwe.schneider_at_xlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:54:54 +0200

Hi kev,

kev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone here upgraded from 8.0.5 to 8i on Linux? Was it a pain? Did
> you have to uninstall 8.0.5 first, or could you just apply an upgrade
> patch? Did you have to change anything on the client machines?

although I have not performed that migration I can help you perhaps.

The documentation of Oracle8i mentions a lot of migration paths from older releases to 8i. There especially is a migration assistant.

In my opinion it is the best to go via exp/imp, since this provides you with the cleanest target installation, is save, can be reversed ...

Client machines do not need to be reconfigured. I run a lot of client and server versions against each other without problems.

Regards!

--
uwe.schneider_at_xlink.net Received on Thu Oct 28 1999 - 10:54:54 CDT