Re: ORA-01034 : Oracle not available

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:56:19 GMT

log on to the UNIX machine and issue the command ps -ef | grep -i oracle | grep -v grep

this will show you a listing of all Oracle processes running. Search for ora_pmon_<sid>, ora_smon_<sid>, etc, to see which instances are active. Set your environment variable ORACLE_SID to the correct value and shutdown the instance. You may have to do a shutdown abort to bring it down. I would also suggest reviewing the alert log prior to restarting the instance. This should give you an indication of what went wrong, if anything.

Is it possible that (1) instance B is configured in the boot-up process to start automatically? (2) that when you got the ORACLE NOT AVAILABLE message, your environment variable ORACLE_SID was set to an invalid value?

HTH,
Roy

In article <7v6n7a$eca$1_at_ezekiel.eunet.ie>,   "Dominic Cribbin" <dominic.cribbin_at_cognotecSTOPSPAM.com> wrote:
> I have two databases on a SUN Solaris machine running UNIX. Yesterday
I had
> to move the SUN machine to another location in the building. I
shutdown both
> databases correctly.
>
> After the move I was able to start Database A correctly but I got an
error
> Database B "ORA-01102: cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode". This
error
> tells me that there is another instance using this database ...
>
> So when I try to shutdown Database B I get the error "ORA-01034 :
Oracle not
> available".
>
> I would like to know :
> A. what is happening to Database B.
> B. is there a way in either UNIX or ORACLE to show what machine/user
has
> this instance running.
> C. is there anyway I can manual force an instance to shutdown when I
cannot
> do it already from the Sun machine ...
> D. what might have caused this to happen i.e. was there some one
connected
> to the original instance (before moving the machine !!) that may have
held a
> lock or some thing !!!
>
> I would be very greatfull if you any one could help me with this one
> many thanks in advance.
>
> Dominic

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 27 1999 - 12:56:19 CDT