Re: Mystery files

From: Erwin Dondorp <erwindon_at_wxs.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:28:19 +0200

I'm sorry but I'll have to say otherwise.

The background processes of the RDBMS communicate only through the shared memory and the semaphores.

These sockets are created by the listener. One socket is created for each IPC address that the listener is listening on when the listener is started (using lstnrctl start).
The name of these sockets is the letter "s" followed by the key which forms the IPC address.
In my case one socket in the form "S#nnnnn.1" is created also, but I'll have to admit that
I couldn't find out what it was used for in this short time. Both the "sxxxxx" and the "S#nnnnn.1" sockets are removed when the listener is shut down (lsnrctl stop)
If the machine on which the database is running refularly shuts down unexpectedly (as with my Linux box)
the socket definitions stay. The "sxxxx" sockets are reused the next time, but a new "S#nnnnn.1" appears.

It is safe to shut down the listener. Then "rm -rf /var/tmp/.oracle". Then again startup the listener.

Erwin

--
Erwin Dondorp
<http://www.dondorp.com/oracle> Received on Tue Oct 26 1999 - 15:28:19 CDT