Re: Windows 98 Clients vs Oracle, HELP!!

From: <rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:30:33 GMT

You are skipping too many layers ! Go back even further, to the server console and make sure the SQL*Net (or Net8) is configured correctly there. Verify with Net8 Assistant (if it works!) and lastly by connecting with SQL+. If your configuration is not correct then you will need to modifiy your TNSNAMES.ORA and maybe your LISTENER.ORA files. That is best done with the Oracle program "Net8 Configuration Assistant".

Once you have SQL*Net (or Net8) working on the server, do the same kind of testing configuration on your client machine.

Note: The above discussion assumes that Oracle 8.x client code was correctly installed on both the server and the client machines.

Next configure your outer layers: BDE or ODBC or whatever.

Rock Cogar.
Oracle DBA, Radian International LLC.
Oak Ridge, TN

In article <2130qx_at_questionexchange.com>,   QuestionExchange <USENET_at_questionexchange.com> wrote:
> What is the error message you get? Try a simple connect with
> SQL*Plus first.
> Becca
> > I have Oracle 8 server for NT and I'm trying to work with it
> from
> > Windows 98 station.
> > I've installed Oracle 8 Client software from P2k.exe
> (Programmer 200
> > Client soft from oracle.com site) and no one of clients (SQL
> Plus 8.0,
> > SQL Net Enterprise managment utilities and so on) can work
> properly.
> > While connecting to server they do incorrect operation(like
> Program made
> > incorrect operation and will be closed) and close. Well you
> know this
> > message :)
> >
> > When I use ODBC datasource the same. I've decided to use BDE
> (Borland
> > Database Engine) but I faced one more problem. When
> connecting BDE Alias
> > BDE says
> > "Couldn't load IDAPI sqlora8.dll", but it exists. In short
> I'm in
> > trouble cause I really need all these working.
> >
> > Please help if you can!
> >

> --
> This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
> http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?
ans_id=6322&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=6287

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 26 1999 - 09:30:33 CDT