Re: Oracle odbc driver on win95 or 98 ?

From: <rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:10:56 GMT

ODBC Drivers for Oracle.

I. Merant.

A company called Marant
(http://www.merant.com/datadirect/products/odbc/connect/overview.asp) makes ODBC drivers that are supposed to be more robust and faster than the ones that are supplied by Oracle and Microsoft. The downside to these products is that they are expensive.

  1. Client ODBC Drivers for Oracle 8.x by Merant.

$745

2. Server ODBC Drivers for Oracle 8.x by Merant.

$4840

These products can evaluated for 30 days (free) from:

http://www.merant.com/datadirect/download/index.asp

I downloaded, installed and tested the client ODBC driver for Oracle 8.x. It connects faster and returns result sets faster than any ODBC driver I have ever tested. I tested 5 connections, all of which worked correctly.

II. Oracle.

New Oracle ODBC drivers can be downloaded free at:

http://technet.oracle.com/software/utilities/software_index.htm

I installed this driver and still can not use it to connect to Oracle 8.1.5 instances in the office.

III. Microsoft.

New Oracle 8.x ODBC drivers (Microsoft Data Access Components 2.1.2.4202.3) by Microsoft can be downloaded free at:

http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm?RLD=377

This MDAC version contains the Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle version 2.573.4202.00 (06/04/99). It connects fast and returns result sets almost as fast as the Merant ODBC driver. I tested 5 connections, all of which worked correctly.

IV. Conclusion.

Try the new Oracle 8.x ODBC drivers (Microsoft Data Access Components 2.1.2.4202.3) by Microsoft. If these are not good enough try the Merant drivers.

Thanks,
Rock Cogar.
Oracle DBA
Radian International LLC.
Oak Ridge, TN.

In article <7u2ecg$lbi$1_at_nslave1.tin.it>,   "GOM" <nospam_at_tin.it> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> There are oracle8 odbc drivers for win95 or 98?
>
> If yes where I can download them?
> I have search on oracle web site but i found only for NT
>
> Thanks!!!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 26 1999 - 09:10:56 CDT