Unable to connect to Oracle 8

From: Matthew Jones <m.jones_at_misd.lon.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 15:14:57 +0100

Hello,

I wonder if someone can help me please with a problem with Oracle 8 on Windows NT. When I do a connection test in Net8 Assistant it gives the error:-

Connecting....

The test did not succeed.
ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

There may be an error in the fields entered or the server may not be ready for a connection. You can check the server and retry, or continue.

All my connection details are identical to my colleague's who can connect no problem. My 'Hosts' file is identical to his too. The DBA doesn't know why I can't connect either. Is there something on the server machine I need to check (I have access)?

Thanks,

Matthew Received on Tue Oct 26 1999 - 09:14:57 CDT