Re: DBMS_LOB Part II

From: mgumbs <mgumbsNOmgSPAM_at_hotmail.com.invalid>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 01:05:00 -0700

In article <7v1n7s$3vu$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, bhutaak_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Dear mgumbs
> There is procedure read as part of DBMS_LOB package. This can be
> used to
> lob from database. The read is like
> procedure read(lob_loc IN BLOB.amount IN OUT BINARY_INTEGER,
> offset IN
> INTEGER, buffer OUT raw);
> over loaded for CLOB,BFILE,NCLOB.
> Keep it up
> Reagrds.
> In article <000b8d9b.9dd43317_at_usw-ex0101-008.remarq.com>,
> mgumbs <mgumbsNOmgSPAM_at_hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have managed to read a character document into the DB using
> DBMS_LOB.
> > Is there a way to extract the entire document out again using
> DBMS_LOB
> > without doing it line by line without using UTL_FILE?
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's
> Discussion
> Network *
> > The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
> Free!
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I did see this procedure.
However, the amopunt you retrieve on one trip is determined by the amount parameter. I'm currently retrieving in chunks of 1000 (i have to create another function to find out the most optimal chunk based on the lob size). I'm not sure what the maximum amount is though, i tried 10000 and it complained.
You also have to retrieve the correct amount of bytes near the end of the lob file otherwise you'll get a NO_DATA_FOUND exception.

I'm 85% there anyway, thanks for your comments.