Re: Create Databse Problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:13:29 +0200

You need to set your ORACLE_SID to the NEW instance! Startup nomount does nothing more than starting the background processes, and work always, also when the database doesn't exist. So please
$ORACLE_SID = <new instance>; export $ORACLE_SID svrmgrl
connect internal
startup nomount (and you won't need the pfile, if the filename is standard, ie $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init<NEW_SID>.ora)

Then create your database. It may be advisable though a) to have that command in a script
b) to

    spool createdb${ORACLE_SID}.log
    before you do the create database, in order not to miss out any errors.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA