Re: ORA-12505: TNS: the listener cannot determine SID supplied in the connection describer

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:10:43 GMT

From Oracle :

12505, 00000, "TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor"
// *Cause:  The SID in the CONNECT_DATA was not found in the listener's tables.
// *Action: Check to make sure that the SID specified is correct.
// The SIDs that are supported can be obtained by typing
// "LSNRCTL STATUS <service name>" and matching the SID specified in
// TNSNAMES.ORA with one of the SIDs displayed in the services summary.

Problem Explanation:

This error indicates that you are attempting to connect to a specific instance (or SID) by using a V2 alias (or service name). Most likely, either the SID specified in the client tnsnames.ora CONNECT_DATA is incorrect, or the listener on the host is not accepting connections for the instance (or SID), possibly due to the configuration of the listener.ora.

The problem is common after adding an additional SID to a host. You may still be able to connect to the first SID, but only get this error connecting to the additional SIDs.

So,

You may have an incorrectly specified SID in your TNSNAMES.ORA file ( especially if it was created by hand instead of EasyConfig or other Oracle tool...It is very picky about the format especially (s and spaces...

Try recreating your TNSNAMES.ORA file using EasyConfig or just check it for the correct SID name...

hth,
John Greco