Re: Error during insert records to table...

From: Curtis Holbrook <cholbroo_at_concentric.net>
Date: 25 Oct 1999 00:15:55 PDT

I'm not an Oracle DBA, but I play one on TV so I'll take a stab at this question. On recent versions of Oracle (I know this holds true for version 7.3.3 at our office), it is possible to set MAXEXTENTS to a really large number. But if you need to do this, the other storage parameters of the table might need to be examined. A table split into many extents pays a performance penalty because the data may be spread all over the disk rather than in contiguous blocks. It is more advisable to create the table with fewer, larger extents. Depending on the amount of fragmentation in the tablespace, this may or may not be possible.

MAXEXTENTS is there to set an upper bound on the size of the table. Without it, it would be possible for an errant process to insert rows into a table until the table filled the entire tablespace, possibly causing great weeping and gnashing of teeth for other objects in the tablespace.