Re: Java and 8i question

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 19:44:17 -0400

A copy of this was sent to mikegrof_at_rocketmail.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 23:04:06 GMT, you wrote:

>In article <qwsTOPninRFmhYQPcCuhQrqzgmUn_at_4ax.com>,
> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
>> A copy of this was sent to mikegrof_at_rocketmail.com
>> (if that email address didn't require changing)
>> On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 03:06:03 GMT, you wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all,

[snip]

>Sure, but will it cause an error? Will anything I do in Java that
>compiles and runs clean as a standalone application run as a stored
>procedure?

pretty much. I'll find out more about what happens exactly with the GUI calls and get back to you on that.

[snip]

>> any specific questions?
>
>Does 8i ship with its own Java compiler and JVM or does it share the
>compiler/JVM installed on the database server as part of Sun's JDK for
>example? Can you upgrade the Java that ships with 8i as new versions
>are released, or is it part of a database release?

it ships with its own. It is part of the database (it is called the aurora jvm). It is integral with the database (portions of the database itself are written using it) and it not upgradeable independent of the database.

>Thanks.
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sun Oct 24 1999 - 18:44:17 CDT