Re: Java and 8i question

From: <mikegrof_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 23:04:06 GMT

In article <qwsTOPninRFmhYQPcCuhQrqzgmUn_at_4ax.com>,   tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
> A copy of this was sent to mikegrof_at_rocketmail.com
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 03:06:03 GMT, you wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >What are the limitations of Java stored procedures? Can they be
> >graphical?
>
> Not really, doesn't make sense -- you are running the database,
perhaps 2 or
> three tiers away from a console. The GUI doesn't have any place to
show itself.

Sure, but will it cause an error? Will anything I do in Java that compiles and runs clean as a standalone application run as a stored procedure?

> >Can they do file I/O?
>
> Yes, the full range of IO operations are available (files, sockets,
etc)

> > Any setup like utl_file?
>
> Not needed. Java has IO routines. You'll just open files and write
to them.

> > What can
> >you do with Java that you can't do with PL/SQL?
>
> there are quite a few things. One thing that pops into mind is tcp/ip
sockets.
> PL/SQL as yet does not have a native interface to sockets. You can
write one in
> C and call that from plsql. Java has native support for sockets.
This for
> example lets you take the mail package from Sun, compile it into the
database
> and lets java send an email using smtp.
>
> > I'm a little confused
> >on how Oracle can support the full features of the Java language.
> >

> any specific questions?

Does 8i ship with its own Java compiler and JVM or does it share the compiler/JVM installed on the database server as part of Sun's JDK for example? Can you upgrade the Java that ships with 8i as new versions are released, or is it part of a database release?

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Oct 24 1999 - 18:04:06 CDT