Re: Oracle Myth 1: What can be done in SQLPLUS, should be able to do in OCI.

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 17:25:09 -0400

A copy of this was sent to szhan_at_calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Philip S Zhan) (if that email address didn't require changing) On 23 Oct 1999 20:12:59 GMT, you wrote:

>Oracle server is a vertical product which is intended to be feature rich
>and powerful. SQLPLUS is Oracle's in house toolset which is an integrated
>companion of Oracle server. OCI is a window which Oracle opens developers
>to access the rich and powerful features of Oracle server.
>
>Can some one clear out a little bit more about the differences? I have a
>strong feeling that Oracle server and the SQLPLUS tool are implemented
>using languages other than C/C++ (for example COBOL) because they treat
>ASCII characters differently.

sqlplus is written in C (every thing is C, Java or assembler in Oracle with the exception of some API's to provide bindings to other languages like Ada, Cobol, Fortran, PL/I and so on). what do you mean by "they treat ascii characters differently"? even if it was written in cobol (or any 3gl) -- that comment doesn't seem to make sense.

SQLPlus is a command line interface to interactively query Oracle databases. It is a program.

OCI is an API from which you could write your own SQLPlus if you wanted (or any other tool). OCI is not a program.

SQLPlus and OCI are not comparable in any way, shape or form -- they are two completely different types of things.

>Phillip

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sat Oct 23 1999 - 16:25:09 CDT