Re: db_block_buffers

From: <michael_bialik_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 07:25:16 GMT

Hi.

 It's just possible that your applications uses a lot  of FULL table accesses instead of getting data via index.

 Make : SELECT name, value from V$SYSSTAT where name like '%long%';

 Look for something like "table scans ( long tables )".

 The value is a number of FULL table scans for big tables ( either  more than 5 blocks or 2% of db_block_buffers - 200 in yor case ).

 Post results ( if possible ).

 HTH. Michael.
In article <7uqt49$74d$1_at_nnrp03.primenet.com>,   "R. Nettleton" <oradba_n_az_at_excite.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a database that has a DB block hit ratio of only 15%. My
> db_block_buffers is set to 10,000 and my db_block_size is 4096 which
gives
> me a 40M DB buffer cache (quick math skills, huh?) At any given time
we
> have about 80 -100 users on this database.
>
> For a test, I increased my db_block_buffers from 5,000 to 10,000 last
night
> and checked the result today (hence, this message). When the
> db_block_buffers was at 5,000, my DB block hit ratio was at 10% and,
as was
> said above, its now only at 15% after doubling my db_block_buffers.
>
> After running BSTAT and ESTAT for one hour during peak time, the
report
> shows no latch contention, 98% of the sorts are done in memory, the
library
> cache and dictionary cache are both 99%. I'm guessing that it is the
> application that is causing this.
>
> It is a "canned" application so we don't have access to the code. It
is a
> document management package called PC DOCS (if anyone is familiar
with it.)
> It seems that, of the queries run by the users, there are a few
tables they
> constantly query against. I'm wondering if I should pin these tables
into
> memory.
>
> Fortunately the users don't complain about the database being slow,
but I'm
> at a loss as to why my ratio is so bad. Any thoughts?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Ron

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Oct 23 1999 - 02:25:16 CDT