Oracle 8.15 & 8.04 Instances with one Listener Service: How ?

From: <rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 21:31:10 GMT

  1. Background.

Yesterday, I tried to get reliable service of an Oracle 8.15 and an 8.04 Instance with one Listener Service on an NT 4.0 sp4 server.

What I found was that using the 8.1.5 listener for both Oracle services worked fairly well at the Oracle network level (as tested by connections & queries with SQL+). However, once I brought ODBC into the equation, service from the Oracle 8.15 Instance became unreliable (best: 3 connections in a row before failure). By contrast, connections to the 8.04 Instance worked 100% of the time !

I found that if I had a connection failure with ODBC, then I would then be unable to connect using SQL+ ! I then found that to restore network connection at the SQL+ level I needed to restart the listener service.

2. Configuration.

TNSMAMES.ORA I had the Oracle 8.15 instance using port 1521 and the 8.04 Instance using port 1526.

LISTENER.ORA I setup the listener to watch ports 1521 and 1526.

3. Questions.

So what did I do wrong ?

What other ports could I have used ?

Thanks,
Rock Cogar,
Oracle DBA,
Oak Ridge, TN. USA.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 22 1999 - 16:31:10 CDT