Help -- NULL value assignment

From: Frank Ye <fye_at_laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 17:28:54 +1000

Hi there,

I'd like to have the statement to produce the result like

update p_item a
set a.unit = NVL((select b.unit

                     from   histpay b
                     where  b.employee# = a.employee#
                    ),a.unit)

I know this is not working, but I want to keep the value of "a.unit" if the "select" gets no value. Anyone knows how to do it without writing PL/SQL procedure?

Thanks in advance.
Frank Received on Fri Oct 22 1999 - 02:28:54 CDT