Listener Security?

From: Don Foucher <don.foucher_at_bos.frb.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:04:18 -0400

Hi DBA's

   Please go easy on this question....I'm a Unix Admin, not a DBA. We have a listener problem, that appears to be a security hole. While creating a test Oracle server on Solaris, we copied the listener.ora file from a production server to a new test server. Before we edited the copied listener.ora file to reflect the Test server's databases, we issued the tnslsnr stop command on the Test server. What happened was, the listener on the production server stopped!! Eventhough the listener.ora files were identical, as well as the Unix UID's, we were shocked that this command issued from one server, stopped the other server's listener. We also have these systems tightly configured, where there are no .rhost files, or and remote commands allowed.

   I searched Oracle's web server, and could not find any information on this situation. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks Much in Advance!
Don Foucher Received on Thu Oct 21 1999 - 08:04:18 CDT