Re: General Performance Question

From: Randy Reiter <rreiter_at_sqlpower.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:26:09 -0400

Deadlock & blocked process SQL reconstructed with the Zero Impact Sql Monitor:

Sql Power Tools is pleased to announce that the Zero Impact Sql Monitor product line release 4.11 will allow 100% reconstruction of all SQL for SQL statements involved in a database server deadlock or blocked process conditions.

The SQL statement or transaction text that can be reconstructed with performance statistics includes:

  1. Both the blocking process (or deadlock) and all blocked processes running when the blocked process is detected.
  2. Previously run SQL that is part of the blocking or blocked process logical transaction. i.e. completed SQL that are part of the logical transactions still in progress; these may still have locked database rows or pages.

   Current database monitors available in the marketplace cannot identify with ZERO impact the currently running and previously run SQL statments with their SQL text and performance (i.e. database server response time, end user response time, network times and more) for a logical transaction.

About the Zero Impact Sql Monitor:

This breakthrough industry product line monitors what causes 80% of all database server performance problems (i.e. the end-user SQL transactions). Other database monitor product offerings typically monitor only the high level resources of production database servers (i.e. the cause of only 20% of all database performance problems).

The product line requires NO intrusive middleware, has NO connections to the database server and application clients (end users, batch programs, WWW servers, application servers, etc.) connect directly to the database server. Product line does NOT connect to the database server, does NOT query the database server and does NOT poll the database server for SQL performance statistics!

Product scales to thousands of users and 1,000+ transactions per second with no impact upon the database server or end-users.

NOTE: Database monitors that connect to the database server, read the database server shared memory, poll the database server, are middleware based, etc. -- may have such a significant performance impact on production database servers (use too much CPU time, memory and I/O), that they cannot be used 24x7 or for any extended time period to monitor production database servers. i.e. they negatively impact the performance of the database server, increase end user response times, and effect service levels.

Zero Impact Sql and Service Level Monitor product benefits:

  1. Monitor SQL statement performance as database applications (OLTP, WWW, application servers, client server, DSS) are developed and tested.
  2. Dramatically reduces time for resolution of database performance issues. Increases productivity of Help desks, Operations Managers, DBAs, System Administrators and Developers.
  3. Service Level Monitoring of total response time, database server response time and other metrics allows DBAs, Administrators and Help Desks to proactively detect and resolve database performance issues prior to end-user complaints.
  4. Service Level Monitoring of total response time, database server response time and other metrics allows proactive resolution of database server performance problems prior to end-user complaints or degrading system performance.

   e.g. poor database performance due to disk space fragmentation, skewed distribution statistics, outdated distribution statistics, increased transaction loads, poor performing SQL statements, blocked SQL transactions as well as many other performance issues.

5. Allows the IT organization to proactively resolve database performance problems prior to end-user or performance complaints, instead of reactively responding to performance problems after they are visible to the end-users.

6. Products monitor 80% of the causes of poor database performance, and are not limited, as other database monitors are, to monitoring only 20% of the causes of performance issues. Furthermore, the products are available at a license cost well below overpriced conventional database monitoring products!

7. Save your organization an expensive and unnecessary hardware upgrade of the production servers on which the database servers run.

Contact information:

info_at_sqlpower.com
www.sqlpower.com

Sql Power Tools