First DBA job!

From: elle <elle_at_surma.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:31:58 +0100

Hi,
I've done 2 of the Oracle DBA Certification Tests and planning to finish the certification in a couple of months.
I am currently working as a software engineer(1 yr). Basically, my job consists of embedding SQL into COBOL apps. My team also act as DBAs of our development environment. (setup servers, advice on sql, security,etc.) for both MS SQL Server and Oracle (but ms sql server is main platform so I don't get to do much Oracle at all in my working life) I am willing to move on and start a career as an Oracle DBA, but I don't feel very confident about it at all. I know I'll get the certification, but my experience is so limited, that I'm worried I'll forget all the stuff pretty soon if I don't practice it.
It's not that I don't believe in myself. I know that if I get the experience I can become good at it, but worries me thinking how I am going to convince a prospective employee, that just because I lack the experience I cannot do a good job and be an asset for the company.

any advice?

thanks in advance

elle Received on Tue Oct 19 1999 - 14:31:58 CDT