Re: General Performance Question

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:38:28 +0800

R. Nettleton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the first thing you do when a user complains of slow response time
> (every now and then, not all the time)? Every now and then I'll have a
> complaint like this and no one else is complaining. Just curious.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron

Could be a million things obviously...network, their PC etc...but if you want a quick look at their Oracle session

select *
from v$session

Look for their username, what PC they're on, the program they're running etc. Once you locate them note down their STATUS, SID, and SQL_ADDRESS

If STATUS is active then they're running a command at present, you can use SQL_ADDRESS to link to v$sql to find the text of that SQL and decide whether its a piece of junk SQL that's causing their problem.

Once you have their SID, you can also query v$sesstat to see various performance indicators about that session...

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Tue Oct 19 1999 - 06:38:28 CDT