Re: Table Space

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:14:57 GMT

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 10:45:37 GMT, "Richard Mycroft" <rmycroft_at_mediaone.net> wrote:

>Probably an easy question, but hey we are new to Oracle. We got in version
>8 and evidently it sets the table space to 30M by default. What can we do
>to change this?

I think I get my cable through you guys (mediaone). In any case, you can add space to a tablespace by adding datafiles. Read up in the SQL Reference manual on the ALTER TABLESPACE command. Also read in the CONCEPTS manual. There should be a chapter on tablespaces (or space management) in there that will give you the high-level view of how Oracle manages spaces.

The short answer to your question is to add a datafile, like this:

ALTER TABLESPACE users

   ADD DATAFILE '/oradata/orcl/users02.dat' SIZE 30m;

Execute this from SQL*Plus or Server Manager. Replace "users" with the name of your tablespace. Use whatever path and filename you like within the single-quotes.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Sun Oct 17 1999 - 12:14:57 CDT