Re: Q on scheduling jobs

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:31:02 +0800

Wilson NG wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Instead of using OS scheduler (e.g., crontab in unix), if I use
> dbms_job to schedule a subprogram in Oracle, where would the output
> (dbms_output message), say log, of the subprogram be gone to?
>
> Also, how can I determine using scheduler in os level (say crontab
> unix) or db level (say dbms_job)?
>
> Many thanks
> Wilson

Output goes to trace files as specified by user_dump_dest in your init.ora.

Which scheduler to use is a matter of what you need really...I have several utilities running as dbms_job 'cos they will run on ANY platform that I'm on, and they are totally db centric.

For stuff that I want to spool out, grep, sed etc etc - I use cron and get the nice things that shell scripts give you...

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Tue Oct 12 1999 - 05:31:02 CDT