Re: Moving Oracle Server from AIX to Solaris

From: attwoody <attwoody_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:23:50 GMT

Greetings, Grace,

  First I would make sure that your Sun server is prepared for   Oracle - make sure all the required Sun packages are installed   and that the Shared Memory parameters have been set in   /etc/system. Carefully read and note everything in the Oracle   Solaris install.

  Unless you get 3rd party tools, Solaris does not have a SMIT-like   administrative tool (this is not saying that it's inferior, only   different). Disk partitioning and setup is different in Solaris   than in AIX (here, I have to give it to IBM for the ease of   configuring LVM on AIX)

  As others have stated, you can install the Oracle executables   and binaries (the Solaris install will be fairly similar to   that on AIX; the only thing I've ever run into is issues about   the TERM type - no big deal if you're using an xterm), create   the database, and export from the AIX system, import to the   Sun system. Pre-create the tablespaces and put 'ignore=y' on   the import.

  Solaris does have a 'vold' - so you don't have to be root to   mount the CD (HP and IBM - are you listening (ha)?). Oracle   runs very well on Sun, so I don't think you'll have to worry   too much.

  Once you get Oracle installed and running on your Sun box, you   will find that it works pretty much the same as on the IBM. You   may have a few unique OS tuning issues - but Oracle does a decent   job of covering the major ones in the 'Tuning Oracle for Solaris'   guide that comes with the installation set.

  I've installed Oracle on HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, VMS, supported it   on SGI (not the best platform for a database) as well as on NT.

  All the best to you.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 11 1999 - 19:23:50 CDT