Oracle 8i versus Oracle8.0

From: Ted Knijff <knijff_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 10:49:35 GMT

Hi,
one of our customers purchased Oracle8i on the advice of his hardware supplier and we were sure surprised to see a complete absence of the Oracle Enterprise Manager and the Admin Toolbar and ... Also the DB-Admin Utility that comes with 8i starts up and exits immediately without doing anything at all. The Database Assistant has a problem with German characters and is extremely slow on startup. The Net8 Assistant has the same problems. The customer was mad as hell.

Now I know that 8i is meant for the Internet and when you look at the Oracle Store, all you see unter Database is 8i.

If this is really all there is to 8i then it is not a complete product at all and customers and suppliers should be made aware of this before they purchase or recommend it.

Any comments, or am I on the wrong track completely ?

Ted
EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com Received on Sat Oct 09 1999 - 05:49:35 CDT