Blob retrieval

From: Will Kallander <wkallander_at_geocities.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:05:36 -0700

Does anyone know if it is faster to retrieve many small sections of a blob column by storing the blob as a continuous unit or would it be better to store each piece separately?

I am writing an OCI app that will retrieve sections of an image based on offsets into the file. In an oracle db, I can store each unit as a separate record in the table or use OCILobRead to retrieve sections based of on offsets into one single blob. Retrieval speed is more important than storage in this case.

Any insight is much appreciated,
--Will

------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including Dedicated Binaries Servers ==-----