Forms 6 problem displaying variable text

From: Calvin Crumrine <Calvin_Crumrine_at_dced.state.ak.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 08:44:49 -0800

I have a simple Forms application consisting of a multiple-record form with 3 buttons: Add, Modify, Delete. These all lead to a single record form, either loading the current record data or (in the case of the Add button) setting default initial values.

For efficiency, I want to use the same single record form for all three actions, but I want the displayed title to change, i.e. when they press the Add button the form will display 'Add a record' and when they press the Delete button the form will display 'Delete a record'.

This should be a display item, but I can't find a property to control the text of the item. I've tried using multiple display items that all occupy the same location, then controlling visibility in the trigger (example from Add Button trigger)

Set_Item_Property('SINGLE_REC.DISPLAY_DELETE',VISIBLE,PROPERTY_FALSE);
Set_Item_Property('SINGLE_REC.DISPLAY_MODIFY',VISIBLE,PROPERTY_FALSE);
Set_Item_Property('SINGLE_REC.DISPLAY_ADD',VISIBLE,PROPERTY_TRUE);

But the display area is consistently blank. Is there any other way to do it, or is there something wrong with the way I've come up with?

Thanks for any help.
--
Quote from Rick Cook, mission manager for NASA's Mars Pathfinder project:

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.

So far, the universe is winning." Received on Mon Oct 04 1999 - 11:44:49 CDT