Re: WebDB and DAD problem (Cannot resolve TNS Service ..)

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 01:39:46 GMT

Ensure that you are modifying the correct TNSNAMES.ORA file. If the version of the database you are using is Oracle8i 8.1.5 or higher, then you most likely have WebDB installed in a different Oracle Home. The default TNSNAMES.ORA file used by WebDB is found in <Your_WebDB_Oracle_Home>\net80\admin\tnsnames.ora.

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999 09:22:53 -0000, "Evan Chua-Yap" <evan_yap_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

>with the tnsname below,
>
>WEBDB =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = enoch)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = ORCL.enoch)
> )
> )
>
>(Note that the service_name IS NOT WEBDB.enoch),
>i can logon successfully with sql-plus using user=webdb, password=webdb and
>host string = ORCL
>or WEBDB
>
>but when i do http://enoch:88/WebDb/ i get the Cannot Resolve Service Name
>problem
>asking me to check the TNS name in the connect string portion of the DAD.
>
>any idea whats wrong?
>Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message
>> Assuming that the tnsnames.ora you displayed is the one in the WebDB
>> ORACLE_HOME, I believe the problem is with your PORT parameter. You
>> have specified "(PORT = 88)", which most likely is the port that your
>> WebDB listener is listening on. What you want to specify for your
>> WebDB tnsnames entry is the port of the *database* listener. In your
>> case, it looks like that should be 1521.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 21:08:51 -0000, "Evan Chua-Yap"
>> <evan_yap_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> >i just installed WebDB on a standalone WINNT machine.
>> >when i tried to "connect", i keep getting error saying:
>> > "Cannot resolve TNS Service ..."
>> >
>> >Below are the contents of my tnsnames.ora :
>> >
>> >ORCL =
>> > (DESCRIPTION =
>> > (ADDRESS_LIST =
>> > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = enoch)(PORT = 1521))
>> > )
>> > (CONNECT_DATA =
>> > (SERVICE_NAME = ORCL.enoch)
>> > )
>> > )
>> >
>> >EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
>> > (DESCRIPTION =
>> > (ADDRESS_LIST =
>> > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
>> > )
>> > (CONNECT_DATA =
>> > (SID = PLSExtProc)
>> > (PRESENTATION = RO)
>> > )
>> > )
>> >
>> >WEBDB =
>> > (DESCRIPTION =
>> > (ADDRESS_LIST =
>> > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = enoch)(PORT = 88))
>> > )
>> > (CONNECT_DATA =
>> > (SERVICE_NAME = WEBDB.enoch)
>> > )
>> > )
>> >
>> >what should the WEBDB entry be?
>> >
>> >thanks in advance for any help/tips
>> >

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Joel
>>
>> Joel R. Kallman
>> Oracle Service Industries
>> Columbus, OH http://govt.us.oracle.com
> [...]

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sun Oct 03 1999 - 20:39:46 CDT