Re: Moving Oracle Server from AIX to Solaris

From: <lempert_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 21:01:44 GMT

In article <37F257D0.55F145FA_at_bnl.gov>,   Grace Tsai <gtsai_at_bnl.gov> wrote:
> I need to move our Oracle Server from AIX to
Solaris. Before doing this,
> I like to make sure if I am using the right
procedures.

> Step 1. Install Oracle Software in Solaris
>
> Step 2. Put the initSID.ora and configSID.ora in
Solaris

> Step 3. create the new database in Solaris by
using svrmgrl

> Question : Our database includes the following
datafiles:

> Control Files: ctrl01.dbf ctrl02.dbf
> Log Files: redo01.log redo02.log redo03.log
> Data Files: system01.dbf system02.dbf
> Temp Files: temp01.dbf
> Others: tools01.dbf users01.dbf rbs01.dbf
>
> Should I create exactly the same TABLESPACEs and
files in the new
> server?
>
> Step 4: export from the old server and import
into the new server?

> Question: I never used the export/import before,
what parameters should
> I specify?
> SHould I move data table by table, or user by
user, or the whole
> database?
>
> Question: Do you know any document describing
the procedures to move
> oracle server?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

> Grace Tsai
> Brookhaven National Lab

Hi
1. Create a new database on the Solaris 2. Create the tablespaces with enough amount of Megas for the data size to ve imported. 3. Export from the AIX, the line should be like : $exp system/manager_at_orcl buffer=16384 consistent=y compress=y constraints=y full=y grants=y indexes=y recordlength=16384 rows=y file=xxx.dmp log=xxx.log
4. Note that if the exp doesn't receive all this long line then copy it to a text file and run like $exp system/manager_at_orcl parfile=exp.par 5. Import this file in the Solaris,
with the same parameters.
6. Note that unfortunately import doesn't always get all the stuff.
7. U must have the same character set in both computers otherwise U must have a dba permission for doing conversions.
8. Check and couble check after the import succeed .
9. By teh way, I havn't succeed to install oracle8i (EE) on my new Solaris 2.6 (Sparc).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Oct 03 1999 - 16:01:44 CDT