pl/sql - DCOM

From: Sean Dillon <sean_at_sdillon.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:54:21 -0600

Anybody successfully using the COM cartridge on NT to access DCOM objects over a network? I've been trying for two weeks and can't get it to work. I can access an object that is on the database server itself just fine; the problem is accessing an object on another machine. Here's my test script:

declare
  i number;
  applicationToken binary_integer := -1;

  error_src varchar2(255);
  error_description varchar2(255);
  error_helpfile varchar2(255);
  error_helpID binary_integer;

begin
  i := ORDCOM.CreateObject('WangImage.Document', 0, 'THINKPAD', applicationToken);
  dbms_output.put_line('i = ' || i);
  if i = 0 then
    dbms_output.put_line('success');
    i := ORDCOM.DestroyObject(applicationToken);   else
    dbms_output.put_line('failed');
    ORDCOM.GetLastError(error_src, error_description, error_helpfile, error_helpID);
    dbms_output.put_line(error_src);
    dbms_output.put_line(error_description);
    dbms_output.put_line(error_helpfile);
  end if;
  dbms_output.put_line('done');
end;
/

When I replace 'THINKPAD' in the .CreateObject function with '', it is able to instantiate the WangImage.Document object locally on the db server. With the remote machine name of 'THINKPAD' as in the example, however, it fails with the following output:

i = -2147467259
failed
done

I have configured the listener service to run as Administrator. I have also run DCOMCNFG on both the server and the client, THINKPAD, and enabled DCOM. Other than that, I don't know what else to do.

Please help if you can. Thank you!

Sean Dillon
sean_at_digisys.net Received on Fri Oct 01 1999 - 17:54:21 CDT