ODBC, synonyms, links, Ora Transparent Gateway, DB2

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 12:57:08 GMT

Subject: ODBC, synonyms, links, Ora Transparent Gateway, DB2

One of our developers is trying to use Access97 as a quick’n’dirty front end to an Ora 8.0.5 database. The database contains a synonym to a link to a DB2/OS390 database, via the Oracle Transparent Gateway. Using the ODBC driver with the Ora8 client software, we set up a DSN for the local Oracle table. When we go to Access and specify a linked table using that DSN, we are able to log on and link to any local tables, but when we select the synonym, we get an MS Jet database error 3011, saying Jet couldn’t find the object, and naming the schema and synonym as the object it couldn’t find. We get this same result whether we use the Oracle ODBC driver or the MS ODBC driver. We are able to SELECT on the synonym in Plus80, and his application (Microfocus cobol using the pro*cobol pre-compiler) has no trouble with the synonym

Just to confuse things further, an Oracle 7.3 client machine in his workgroup can make the Access/ODBC connection. I’ve tried installing the O7.3 ODBC on the problem machine but it fails completely – probably because the rest of the 7.3 SQL*Net client is not there ….

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 01 1999 - 07:57:08 CDT