oracle experience question

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:25:11 -0400

Hi,

    Like so many other Oracle DBAs my career choice was happenstance rather than planned.

    I was managing a development team that got an assignment involving using Oracle. Someone had to administer the database and I was faced with having one of the developers learn enought tom become an administrator or doing it myself. I decided to do it myself for two reasons; first, I didn't want to impact the schedule by having a developer take the time to learn enough to be a DBA and second, in my ignorance I thought that database administration was something that could be done in a casual manner and wouldn't take more than ten or fifteen minutes a day.

    I believe that you have to have experience as an Oracle developer before you become a DBA.

regards
jerry gitomer