Re: Using Oracle with Delphi...

From: Steve Koterski <koterski_at_NOSPAMgte.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:34:14 GMT

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:23:48 +0200, Mehdi BOURMAD <bourmad_at_nospam.multimania.com> wrote:

>I'm actually using Delphi and created a software using any database
>(Paradox). I want to use Oracle as Database Engine with my actual
>software.
>
>1. I don't know what I need to use from Oracle softwares, and how I
>can interface it with Delphi.
>
>2. My objective is to use Borland Database Engine, and be able to
>choose which database engine to use. Could you explain me what are
>the eventuals dificulties and/or problems?

On the Oracle side, you need to have the server software installed (on the server). You also need to have the client software installed (on the client). Both are part of the Oracle system and are not part of Delphi. This is the case for any SQL database system. Client applications only interact with the client software, which in turn operates on the database through the server software (this is, of course, a simplification).

On the Delphi side, you need some means for the application to communicate with the Oracle client software. One such means is the Borland Database Engine (BDE). In the Client/server and Enterprise editions of Delphi, the BDE includes native drivers for SQL database systems. These native drivers act as intermediaries between the front-end application and the database system's client software. The Professional edition (and below) does not include these native drivers. You need to use an ODBC driver (through the BDE) to communicate with the client software.

Another means is Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects (ADO). Delphi 5 introduced native Delphi components that use ADO for data access, bypassing the BDE altogether. This requires Delphi 5, Professional edition and above. Plus, the ADOExpress components come in the Enterprise edition but must be purchased as an add-on for Professional.

And still another option are custom dataset components that interact directly with either the Oracle client software or an appropriate ODBC driver. Borland does not offer any such components (exceptions being ADOExpress for ADO and InterBase Express for InterBase databases). You would need to look for a third-party product that offers this.

Steve Koterski              "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday,
Felton, CA                  lying in hospitals dying of nothing."
                                                              -- Redd Foxx