Re: Oracle 8i, A very basic question

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:56:14 -0400

A copy of this was sent to owais_anjum_at_my-deja.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 06:48:49 GMT, you wrote:

>Hello
>
>Is Oracle 8i a superset of Oracle 8 Enterprise Server?
>
>What I am necessarily asking is that apart from providing new features
>like iFS and InterMedia, does Oracle 8i still support the conventional
>relational engine?

Yes -- Oracle8i is just the next relese of Oracle.

There was Oracle release 6.0
There was Oracle7 release 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 There was Oracle8 release 8.0
There is now Oracle8i, release 8.1

>If it does, then iFS and Intermedia have a dependency on the relational
>engine or can they be used as stand alone products?

they need the database. The run in the database.

>I know these might be very basic questions for 8i users, but I'm totally
>unaware of this side of the technology.
>I'll really appreciate a prompt reply.
>
>Thanx in advance
>Owais
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Sep 29 1999 - 11:56:14 CDT